Food 2021 Garden Thrad

Peppers are approaching shoulder height, hundreds of blooms still active that probably have enough time to finish this season

Ground cherries great yield, super aggressive plant, its rooting itself through the heavy geotextile anywhere the branch nodes touch the ground, didnt realize it does that. Probably wont grow it again though, honestly dont care for the flavor that much. Gonna try to turn it into a spicy/sweet jam with a bunch of jalepenos and see how that turns out though

This much, every day, from 1 plant

Peppers are approaching shoulder height, hundreds of blooms still active that probably have enough time to finish this season

Ground cherries great yield, super aggressive plant, its rooting itself through the heavy geotextile anywhere the branch nodes touch the ground, didnt realize it does that. Probably wont grow it again though, honestly dont care for the flavor that much. Gonna try to turn it into a spicy/sweet jam with a bunch of jalepenos and see how that turns out though

This much, every day, from 1 plant

I was at a farmer's market and some guy had ground cherry turnovers. OMG were they good. They have an interesting antioxidant not found in many plants - Dole is working on improving them to something 2+ times as big, then they figure they would be profitable. DIfferent varieties changes up the flavor a bit - hips and I both remembered eating wild ones. Those are really tasty but like wild strawberries, not very productive.
Looks good!

@gee - curious how the citric acid worked for you? It was a new one to me but I decided I'd try it instead of peroxide -was getting some rot at the base of a plant, not seeing any bud rot. I go with 2 tsp in a liter of water, blow it on them with the airless sprayer. Did that a week ago, seems to push the rot back completely.

RIPPERS!! I knew the guy who dropped off my topsoil and gravel yesterday was TOO curious. Between loads I was doing tractor work aways back on my property and he walks back - there was no need, he knew where to drop the stuff off. His "nose" got curious - duh. So tonight my alarm went off - looks like someone tried to come in over the top of my enclosure and got smacked in the face with 100k candle watts of light. It seems to have scared them off. THeives averted - this time.
Alternate possibility - wind blew hard enough to set things off or it was a critter. Fine either way. Shit is MASSIVE!

Last edited:
Citric acid did the job for powdery mildew. Have a bag of potassium bicarbonate but haven't needed to use it yet. Might spray a precautionary dose.

Plants aren't as big as I like but it's getting near frost time so they'll be coming down real soon.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Citric acid did the job for powdery mildew. Have a bag of potassium bicarbonate but haven't needed to use it yet. Might spray a precautionary dose.

Plants aren't as big as I like but it's getting near frost time so they'll be coming down real soon.
Shit's never as big as it could be. :lol: I did supercropping/low-stress/sideways since I can't legally grow a CHristmas tree here, must stay under 6' for all practical. So it's deceiving for me - I just know each plant has 30-50 branches that ends in a solid lollipops of bud. I've been running string and wire wherever I can to keep them up. Had a big branch 2 days ago because I didn't tie and it took about 1/3 of the plant. But as you say - coming down real soon. Monday at latest for me. Don't let them get frosted is my 2 cents - flavor usually suffers. Chlorophyll gets trapped.

Holy fuck that's a good idea - that's a little 3D printed insert?
Nah man, people selling those on online for anywhere from 4/$10 to $4/$20. Different styles, you pay extra for "round". ooooohhh. I have 8 - even if I have 32 half gallons I'm just rotating those bitches. I did fine before them.

They look like some generic plastic lids someone puched a hole in and then glued the units in. Mine all read within 3 % and about 2 degree f. of each other. meh, close enough

Final harvest of the year and garden all cleaned up. Like to leave the peppers on the plant as long as possible for max flavor

bonus cat for non plant people, nothing for @TuhMollie

Very nice - really like those peppers, they look very tasty. And quality time with the kiddo. <3

Weird, we didn't get our first frost until the 3rd, of November. In Michigan? That's some global warming shit.
Picked my last 5 figs and some peppers on the 1st. Still waiting to dig rutabagas, parsnips, and sunchokes(not an actual "planted" crop). And luffas(yes the sponges) - gotta let them freeze a few times, greatly simplifies processing.

Started twenty, 8 lb. bags of mushroom spawn 2 weeks to go - gonna have 'shrooms out the butt by Thanksgiving.

Holy fuck that's a good idea - that's a little 3D printed insert?
Sadly I must report those little hygrometers are shit - can't be trusted. And I have 3 slightly different sets of 4, from 3 suppliers. And I changed batteries, to no avail. They ship them not snapped into the bezel, so they are easy to drop into jars. You put 3 in a 1/2 gallon jar and your readings might have a 7-8% spread. Waaaaay too inaccurate for me. I like to cure at 67-68% for 2-3 weeks, then lower to 62%. I have an expensive hygrometer I use for my mushroom grows but it's not practical for individual jars. I ordered some Boveda packets which add or subtract moisture to hold it a 62%, +/- 1% And no burping jars so you keep all the stank in. :)

Last edited:
someone who isn't me can start a 2022 gardening thread, but I wanted to bump this thread now that the weather is getting warmer/snow is melting, but also because info about the hammerhead worm/slug has been making the rounds:

as your friendly neighborhood creepy crawly guy, I'm here to say it's legit & you should definitely destroy these dudes if you find any. you have to dessicate/dissolve them, they are able to regenerate if you cut them & now you've got MULTIPLE worms.

other species that are on the august-approved destroy-on-sight list include:
Lycorma deliculata - spotted lanternfly
Agrilus planipennis - emerald ash borer
Popillia japonica - Japanese beetle

you can check with your local dept of agriculture as to whether you need to document/report sightings or not before you destroy them.

someone who isn't me can start a 2022 gardening thread, but I wanted to bump this thread now that the weather is getting warmer/snow is melting, but also because info about the hammerhead worm/slug has been making the rounds:

as your friendly neighborhood creepy crawly guy, I'm here to say it's legit & you should definitely destroy these dudes if you find any. you have to dessicate/dissolve them, they are able to regenerate if you cut them & now you've got MULTIPLE worms.

other species that are on the august-approved destroy-on-sight list include:
Lycorma deliculata - spotted lanternfly
Agrilus planipennis - emerald ash borer
Popillia japonica - Japanese beetle

you can check with your local dept of agriculture as to whether you need to document/report sightings or not before you destroy them.
Why are hot girls always into bugs?

Anyway they look impossible to get, you have to get the stuff actually on them?

Anyway they look impossible to get, you have to get the stuff actually on them?

with the worms, you should wear gloves to protect yourself, but then you can just put them in a glass jar with salt, & then once you think they're real dead you can smush up the bits & dispose of it. you can also use other harsh garbage juices you might have lying around, like acetone, but you'll still need to dispose of it in whatever the proper way is for that chemical.

for the beetles, you can usually just stick them in hot soapy water. lanternflies are easy to smush (you should also familiarize yourself with what their egg masses look like & report/destroy those, too)