Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a couple VW shops in town as well as some older speed shops. Might be able to find one.

It's only for idle, right? I'm still having an issue with transition from idle to WOT. I swapped the main jet to get it properly sized, but I don't know if the accelerator pump's initial setting is the same with the different jets.

There are a couple VW shops in town as well as some older speed shops. Might be able to find one.

It's only for idle, right? I'm still having an issue with transition from idle to WOT. I swapped the main jet to get it properly sized, but I don't know if the accelerator pump's initial setting is the same with the different jets.
I checked at idle and at 2000 RPM. So no, not just for idle.

I guess I was more asking if you could check it and make adjustments as you wing it from idle up to X RPM.

If you can hold it at 2k or whatnot, I assume you can then. Although my carb I'd have to disassemble it every fucking time I do that. I need to buy a separate one and drill a hole in the top to be able to make adjustments on the fly.

Local Pick N Pull has two for $38 per. Guess I'll go pick one up

I guess I was more asking if you could check it and make adjustments as you wing it from idle up to X RPM.

If you can hold it at 2k or whatnot, I assume you can then. Although my carb I'd have to disassemble it every fucking time I do that. I need to buy a separate one and drill a hole in the top to be able to make adjustments on the fly.

Local Pick N Pull has two for $38 per. Guess I'll go pick one up
That's why the colortune is mostly useful for SUs, not so much for traditional idle/main circuit carbs. The only way to adjust intermediate mixture on an SU is to reprofile the needle that is withdrawn from the (only) jet by Venturi effect.

But hey, it's cheaper than a wideband O2 sensor.

Dad started working on the Van Orange, we're preparing to drive up to Minnesota with it.

Left Rear before
T09JVC6.jpg

Behind the tire carrier on the front, where the cover has been rubbing.
vY3KxuP.jpg

Sandblasting always reveals more holes.
JjduWRi.jpg

TtBIciL.jpg

Lil biddy bondo on the front passenger
abHzdpX.jpg

UxShf1k.jpg

Paint!
rCAb7j8.jpg

Assembled!
nw9bR7V.jpg

Gotta say, I love Van Orange, I love roadtrips, but I'm slightly apprehensive about over 1800 miles of road. (Van Orange doesn't do interstates, not due to mechanical issues, but due to HP issues)

Dad started working on the Van Orange, we're preparing to drive up to Minnesota with it.

Left Rear before
T09JVC6.jpg

vY3KxuP.jpg

JjduWRi.jpg

TtBIciL.jpg

abHzdpX.jpg

UxShf1k.jpg

Paint!
rCAb7j8.jpg

Assembled!
nw9bR7V.jpg

Gotta say, I love Van Orange, I love roadtrips, but I'm slightly apprehensive about over 1800 miles of road. (Van Orange doesn't do interstates, not due to mechanical issues, but due to HP issues)

I love those things but my god what a death trap.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots

Left Rear before
T09JVC6.jpg

vY3KxuP.jpg

JjduWRi.jpg

TtBIciL.jpg

abHzdpX.jpg

UxShf1k.jpg

Paint!
rCAb7j8.jpg

Assembled!
nw9bR7V.jpg

Finally you've got something meant for dual webers ;)

Finally you've got something meant for dual webers ;)
Came with dual Solexes, has Webers now, Dad doesn't like them as much.
He spent a year and a half trying to find Solexes that weren't rebuilt. He bought a couple that were professionally rebuilt and they kept leaking around the throttle shaft.

Longest trip yet, today. Drove it to Discount Tire for two new tires on the front. I was going to have them move the younger tires up to the front, but he looked at them and said they weren't allowed to rotate tires that were more than ten years old. Nevermind that it has just been sitting for 7 of the 12 years since I bought them. The carbs did okay, no stumbles or misses. But damn, it takes a long time to get up to speed. And going up hills, I mostly had to shift down to third. Any hill. I kept it under 50 on the way in, babying the old cracked Michelins on the front. On the way home, I pushed it up to 64mph. Took forever to get there, but it did it. When they were working right, those old Solexes were superior carburetors.

I'm only familiar with the sidedraft varieties, but Solexes had some nice features if you were intending to boost in the future. The king of the hill was Mikunis, though.

They're all about the same for an old NA motor, though.

I wonder if Dad ever looked at Mikunis.

I've thought of getting some old intake horn/runner things and modifying them to accept fuel injectors. Get a Megasquirt setup or something else like that.

Fucking awesome. Getting a Westfalia is one of my life goals.

Looks like there's a few options for adding aftermarket EFI and electronic ignition to the VW motor, and they give a half decent power increase. Might be worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.