FYI Could a room temperature super conductor actually be right around the corner?!?!

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥85,299
Steam
mattressfish

Yesterday two preprints appeared on the rXiv site, the first bearing the attention-getting title “The First Room-Temperature Ambient-Pressure Superconductor”, and the second going into more detail about its behavior.

According to this paper, its relatively 'easy' to make, and we should know very soon if these results can be replicated. If so, this could be a first step towards amazing.

The exciting bit here is room temperature AMBIENT PRESSURE. Usually these things have to have extreme pressure to work.

It does seem current limited, but not extremely so. It won't replace our power infrastructure, but has enormous microelectronic potential

According to this paper, its relatively 'easy' to make, and we should know very soon if these results can be replicated. If so, this could be a first step towards amazing.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I'd think room temperature and extreme pressure are generally mutually exclusive.
Nope.

PV=nRT => P/T = nR/V => 1= nR/V

If pressure and temp stay constant in relation to each other you have to play with the number of moles and volume for a given gas.
So, if the P/T constant on the left is at 10 for some extreme temp and pressure and a value of 1 is ambient temp and sea level pressure, you have to reduce nR/V by a factor of 10 to get it down.

This is vastly simplified, and uses ideal gas law which is not what atmosphere is, but the basics are there to show that they are not linked.

Saturation divers have been comfortable at 1000 PSI with ambient air temps.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
I mean, I doubt we're talking about something trivial like 1000 PSI. And for the record, I personally haven't seen anything about room temperature superconductors under mega high pressures, but would be happy to read about them.

I mean, I doubt we're talking about something trivial like 1000 PSI. And for the record, I personally haven't seen anything about room temperature superconductors under mega high pressures, but would be happy to read about them.
How did I know you'd get stuck on the trivial detail and ignore the actual math?

The only other one above -77 is something like 150 gpa.

Rt and ht superconductors functionally don't exist outside of extreme laboratory conditions. That's what makes this discovery so super impressive

Superconductors are cool shit, and a room temp one would be amazing. This stuff forms at 925C, like you could sinter this stuff with copper powder at lower temperatures than that and make superconductor impregnated copper for electrical connectors and transformer windings and stuff.

Of course it's fucking made of lead, though. "Yeah we're mining all this new lead and spreading it far and wide, but the carbon reduction from all the energy savings will be worth it, right?"

Superconductors are cool shit, and a room temp one would be amazing. This stuff forms at 925C, like you could sinter this stuff with copper powder at lower temperatures than that and make superconductor impregnated copper for electrical connectors and transformer windings and stuff.

Of course it's fucking made of lead, though. "Yeah we're mining all this new lead and spreading it far and wide, but the carbon reduction from all the energy savings will be worth it, right?"
Lead sulfates aren't that nasty. They're not very bioavailable, and don't build up in tissue