FYI Could a room temperature super conductor actually be right around the corner?!?!

So what are some practical applications for a super conductor?
enormously more dense, powerful, and faster computing.

We are SWP (size weight power) limited in almost all microelectronics these days. Superconducting interconnect would be like the leap from vacuum tubes to transistors.

It has zero resistance. Generates zero heat, has zero voltage drop or signal degradation. And superconducting either is, or isnt. Its not like you can have different qualities of it. If it superconducts, it has all the above qualities, full stop

• Gravy
Reactions: Mean Mr. Mustard
So one day soon, is my cpu not going to overheat when I open chrome?

So what are some practical applications for a super conductor?
They're used right now in MRI machines. Except those have the windings bathed in liquid helium, and need a bunch of shit to keep that helium at 4 deg K.

Not requiring all that extra equipment would make MRI machines a whole lot simpler/cheaper.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
They're used right now in MRI machines. Except those have the windings bathed in liquid helium, and need a bunch of shit to keep that helium at 4 deg K.

Not requiring all that extra equipment would make MRI machines a whole lot simpler/cheaper.
4K is barely warmer than most of space as a reference. Space generally sits around 2K, in the dark. in the sun, way hotter

So another team tried to replicate it and sorta failed. It wasn't a superconductor until -161F (I think it was freedom units). That's still super warm, but not room temperature. Apparently, the manufacturing process is *super* inefficient, with only a fraction of the material created having superconductor status. Hopefully that has something to do with it.

So another team tried to replicate it and sorta failed. It wasn't a superconductor until -161F (I think it was freedom units). That's still super warm, but not room temperature. Apparently, the manufacturing process is *super* inefficient, with only a fraction of the material created having superconductor status. Hopefully that has something to do with it.
but multiple teams have been able to reproduce room temp Meisner effect. Its definitely not confirmed yet, but theres disagreement thus far.

-161 is above liquid nitrogen, that would still be groundbreaking even if it turned out it wasnt RT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LK-99 is the best place to live-track confirmation efforts by the way.

The original authors published two papers on this by the way. One with 6 authors, and one with 3. The only reason you publish a reduced author paper is if you think you might be in the running for a Nobel. Only 3 awardees allowed.

but multiple teams have been able to reproduce room temp Meisner effect. Its definitely not confirmed yet, but theres disagreement thus far.

-161 is above liquid nitrogen, that would still be groundbreaking even if it turned out it wasnt RT.
Yeah, tons of disagreements here, but it sure seems like it has to be something.

Obviously, we're a long way from anything with this stuff, but I was remembering reading that large scale power transmission loses like 30-40% of the power generated to heat and whatever else. Its crazy to think that someday we could have 30-40% more output for the same amount of fuel.

edit: Totally wrong. Glad I Googled it. Losses are only 5%. I'm a dumdum.

This sorta puts that 5% into perspective though...
The U.S. grid loses about 5 percent of all the electricity generated through transmission and distribution—enough to power all seven Central American countries four times.

Yeah, tons of disagreements here, but it sure seems like it has to be something.

Obviously, we're a long way from anything with this stuff, but I was remembering reading that large scale power transmission loses like 30-40% of the power generated to heat and whatever else. Its crazy to think that someday we could have 30-40% more output for the same amount of fuel.

edit: Totally wrong. Glad I Googled it. Losses are only 5%. I'm a dumdum.

This sorta puts that 5% into perspective though...
yeah, high voltage DC is pretty good for no losses.

We may be nearing a revolution. In the last year, we now have huge advancements in superconductors, fusion, solid state batteries, and (as I read the other day) even flow batteries. Fusion is still waaaaay off, but if we can get some good batteries to go along with all this 'renewable' energy, we may yet not get above 2C.

We may be nearing a revolution. In the last year, we now have huge advancements in superconductors, fusion, solid state batteries, and (as I read the other day) even flow batteries. Fusion is still waaaaay off, but if we can get some good batteries to go along with all this 'renewable' energy, we may yet not get above 2C.
all kinda matches the bits about there being active programs to reverse engineer alien tech right ...... :D

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
all kinda matches the bits about there being active programs to reverse engineer alien tech right ...... :D
I was actually reading some of the more coherent thoughts behind some of that.

A) actually aliens
B) MIC has loopholes to allow run arounds of legal oversight.
C) both.

No matter what, getting to the bottom should be a good thing.

I was actually reading some of the more coherent thoughts behind some of that.

A) actually aliens
B) MIC has loopholes to allow run arounds of legal oversight.
C) both.

No matter what, getting to the bottom should be a good thing.
i mean, we know B is true.

We know, but we don't  know
Difference is now there is enough credible proof to enact whistle-blower protections
Unless the OCA deems they need it, congress critters functionally lack access to a lot of the really sensitive stuff. Technically they have access to it... but lets be real, do we really want George Santos to have access to every secret the US has just because some morons elected him?

Unless the OCA deems they need it, congress critters functionally lack access to a lot of the really sensitive stuff. Technically they have access to it... but lets be real, do we really want George Santos to have access to every secret the US has just because some morons elected him?
Agreed, and it should at least partially be that way. However the funding shouldn't be that way.
I'm hopeful that there will be change after this. Not planning on it, but hopeful.