Food The Vagatarian Thread

Petunia

COVID POSITIVE FOREVER
Nov 16, 2010
Currently Locked up: esposa
Marklar
₥34,179
Not sure how many Vegetarians we have here, I do know @Ledboots is Vegan... right?

I have been researching this for sometime now and I'm leaning more and more towards this lifestyle.
I know i can totally live with out red meat, pork and poultry... but fish is so hard for me to walk away from. can i be a vegetarian and still eat fish? i guess not be a STRICT Vegetarian...
I know that this is a touchy subject amongst strict vegetarians.

i know Vegans do not consume meat, eggs, milk, honey or any food that is derived from animals. Do not eat meat or fish. Eating vegan has major cholesterol benefits as well.
I love love love love vegetables so much (except carrots) I love the vegetarian recipes out there ! they look so fun and tasty.

PLUS: i don't want to eat poor little animals any more :(

9391315_orig.jpg

what are your thoughts on this? Pros and Cons?

disclaimer: I understand this isnt for everyone so if you're going to be negative and an asshole about it please post elsewhere... Im looking for serious constructive feedback (good or bad) but just don't be an asshole.. you know who you are.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and APRIL
Animals bred specifically for the production of dairy, which would cause them extreme discomfort if they were not milked at the rate they are.
Dude, @Ledboots explained this not too long ago. If they can't consent, it's not vegan.

I don't think a cow can grant consent.

It does open the avenue for the scenario proposed in Restaurant at the End of the Universe, however.

@Ledboots, how do you feel about this scenario?

A large dairy animal approached Zaphod Beelebrox’s table, a large fat meaty quadraped of the bovine type with large watery eyes, small horns and what might have been an ingratiating smile on its lips.

“Good evening,” it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, “I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in parts of my body?” It harrumphed and gurgled a bit, wriggled its hind quarters into a more comfortable position and gazed peacefully at them.

Its gaze was met by looks of startled bewilderment from Arthur and Trillian, a resigned shrug from Ford Prefect and naked hunger from Zaphod Beeblebrox.

“Something off the shoulder perhaps?” suggested the animal. “Braised in a white wine sauce?”

“Er, your shoulder?” said Arthur in a horrified whisper.

“But naturally my shoulder, sir,” mooed the animal contentedly, “nobody else’s is mine to offer.”

Zaphod leapt to his feet and started prodding and feeling the animal’s shoulder appreciatively.

“Or the rump is very good,” murmured the animal. “I’ve been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there’s a lot of good meat there.” It gave a mellow grunt, gurgled again and started to chew the cud. It swallowed the cud again.

“Or a casserole of me perhaps?” it added.

“You mean this animal actually wants us to eat it?” whispered Trillian to Ford.

“Me?” said Ford, with a glazed look in his eyes. “I don’t mean anything.”

“That’s absolutely horrible,” exclaimed Arthur, “the most revolting thing I’ve ever heard.”

“What’s the problem, Earthman?” said Zaphod, now transferring his attention to the animal’s enormous rump.

“I just don’t want to eat and animal that’s standing there inviting me to,” said Arthur “It’s heartless.”

“Better than eating an animal that doesn’t want to be eaten,” said Zaphod.

“That’s not the point,” Arthur protested. Then he thought about it for a moment. “All right,” he said, “maybe it is the point. I don’t care, I’m not going to think about it now. I’ll just … er …”

The Universe raged about him in its death throes.

“I think I’ll just have a green salad,” he muttered.

“May I urge you to consider my liver?” asked the animal, “it must be very rich and tender by now, I’ve been force feeding myself for months.”

“A green salad,” said Arthur emphatically.

“A green salad?” said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly at Arthur.

“Are you going to tell me,” said Arthur, “that I shouldn’t have the green salad?”

“Well,” said the animal, “I know many vegetables that are clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am.”

It managed a very slight bow.

“Glass of water please,” said Arthur.

“Look,” said Zaphod, “we want to eat, we don’t want to make a meal of the issues. Four rare steaks please, and hurry. We haven’t eaten in five hundred and seventy-six thousand million years.”

The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle.

“A very wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good,” it said. “I’ll just nip off and shoot myself.”

He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur.

“Don’t worry, sir,” he said, “I’ll be very humane.”

It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.

I don't particularly get the "don't eat any dairy" part of veganism
Well, keeping a cow producing milk means you gotta breed it multiple times. You'll end up with boy cows which get sold off for beef, and more girl cows than you need which also get sold for beef. And even the cows you keep for milking only last 4-5 years until their milk output drops, and they become beef.

Ultimately X number of cows die for you to drink Y gallons of milk. Exactly the same situation as X number of cows die for you to eat Y steaks. Yeah, you're not directly eating the dead animal, but the effect is still the same.