Food UF Fart Group? - EAT YOUR PEAS

You should hack it.
Then I'd have to spend too much money on a coffee maker.

I'd sooner hack a Keurig. It actually has a pump that transfers water from tank to coffee, and adding closed loop temperature control to the tank would be straightforward.

Then I could set the temperature, flow rate and total water flow to whatever I want.

Looking at the construction of that coffee maker, I noticed something: it's a percolator. It's got a tank of water that it boils, and as that water turns to steam, the pressure forces it out and over your coffee. It doesn't precisely set the water tank at, say, 190F and then pump it out over your coffee.

Water leaving the tank will be at or near 212F. I suppose they could say that the tube that goes from tank to the water sprayer is "precision engineered" somehow so the water cools in that tube by some exact amount, so it's in the high 190s/low 200s by the time it reaches the coffee grounds... but you can't really make that exact.

What you've got there is the delicious taste of confirmation bias.
Cooks Illustrated's actual data disagrees with your opinion.

Once again, we also discovered that brew temperature—that is, the temperature of the water when it’s in contact with the coffee grounds—factors into the quality of the extraction. According to the SCAA, optimal extraction happens when the water temperature spends most (ideally, about 90 percent) of the brew cycle between 195 and 205 degrees, and manufacturers are anxious to market their commitment to this standard. One even broadcast “Optimal Brew” on its label—but in that case, and a few others, the reality didn’t live up to the claims. When we ran two rounds of temperature checks on all of the machines by taping thermocouple probe wires to the center of each brew basket atop the coffee grounds (where the heated water would drip directly on them) and averaged the amount of time the water spent in the optimal zone, the so-called Optimal Brew machine barely broke 60 percent. Two others spent roughly 35 percent of the cycle in the zone; one strayed above the 205-degree ceiling for most of the cycle and made “scorched” coffee. The worst averaged a feeble 16 percent. Meanwhile, two of the three SCAA-certified models, the Technivorm and the Bunn, clocked in at 87 percent, while the third SCAA-certified model, the Bonavita, trailed slightly. The numbers lined up with our tasting results: Those that hovered in the zone the longest brewed “complex,” “velvety-smooth” coffee, while more erratic models produced “weak” coffee that “lacked depth.”

jqgeyag96uaz.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Veganism is not about giving anything up or losing anything; it is about gaining the peace within yourself that comes from embracing nonviolence and refusing to participate in the exploitation of the vulnerable
* when it's convenient. I mean, you don't expect me to give up my cell phone and television made by slaves in a foreign land, right?

ibomnivorebingo